Good Morning Year 6. All your Thursday home learning activities can be found right here!
Writing Task: Explanation Text
Today’s writing session will be editing your explanation writing.
Remember re-reading aloud is vital - you have to know what it sounds like in the real world! See if can enlist someone in your family to listen and offer suggests as you read it.
Edit one: structure
- Flow: do your sections link together and is it easy to read? Any clumsy parts that are tricky or do not make sense - edit.
- Variation / repetition: if you have not purposefully used repetition or it does not work - edit.
- Paragraphs: have you used these correctly?
- Do you have clear subheadings?
Edit two: grammar and punctuation
- Tense: make sure that you have kept to the same tense throughout.
- Have you shown off your great punctuation skills? You have everything at your disposal - commas, brackets, colons and semi-colons.
Edit three: spellings
- Read through backwards to check for these, they might be easier to spot. Spell checkers are, as ever, a good idea to use.
Once you have done this, you should be finished! We would love to read your explanations. If you would like to please email them to Miss Cappella and/or Mr English. As always, we can’t wait to read your work.
Today we will be calculating percentages of amounts. Watch the video below carefully as this will help you with your work by working through some examples to get you started.
Please complete the activity below. Have a go at as many questions as you can. It is okay to leave a question if you are struggling. Remember you can print out the sheets, or just workout the answers in your workbook.
A document containing the answers can also be found below so you can mark your own work once you’re finished. You can also use the answer sheet to work through any questions you struggled to answer.
Science: Healthy Bodies
Today we are going to be thinking about the effects of tobacco, alcohol and other drugs on the body. Read the slides below to find out more.
You have a choice of activities this week. Below you will find challenge cards with one of six options to choose from. Pick the question that most interests you and your task is to:
- Create a poster or information booklet to answer this question.
- Use as much detail as you can.
- You will need to do some research to help you find out relevant names, facts and figures.
This day in history: 1993
The film Jurassic Park opens, to set an opening box office record (money made on first weekend) of $502 million. It went on to scare many and several, terrible, sequels were made.